When we hear the name “Jesus,” we tend to imagine a skinny, poor-looking peasant (with nice hair of course). Although I’ve never seen Jesus, it would not surprise me if he indeed looked poor and simple. After all, Isaiah 53:2 does tell us that “he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.” What’s interesting is that Jesus’ 33-year lifespan was only a small blip in the timespan of his existence. Throughout the rest of history, he was/is much more, well, epic.

In Revelation 1, Jesus shows up to John, and it’s quite a sight: [12] Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, [13] and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. [14] The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, [15] his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. [16] In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.  [17] When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, [18] and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. Revelation 1:12-18 ESV)

Oh, man! I would probably fall “as though dead” too. Can you imagine the sight? Burning eyes, a roaring voice, and a shining face were a little different from what Jesus’ old appearance was, and I don’t even know what to make of the snowy hair, stars in his hand, and a sword out of his mouth. As shocked as John was, I bet it reminded him of a particular day when he and a few others were on a mountain with Jesus. On that day, Jesus shone like lightning. It was a miraculous day. Or maybe, the miracle lied in the fact that Jesus’ splendor and glory were hidden under human skin for about 33 years. Ultimately, even in appearance, Jesus set a good example for us in humility. He set aside his divinity and clothed himself in humanity out of obedience to the Father (Philippians 2:7). Do we wear what we wear out of obedience and humility? There’s something to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundamental Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic

NKJV Evangelical Study Bible

Gospel of Mark Carter