Just briefly, I have been thinking about Judas and Peter. I know that is old news and there is not much new to say about it. Without trying to deal with all the doctrinal issues about what it meant for Jesus to choose Judas, it seems to me Scripture is clear that anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. I understand we might legitimately ask who will call on the name of the Lord, but from a human perspective, I think it is proper to conclude Judas could have been saved with proper repentance and faith. Also from a human perspective, and realizing I am trying to get into their heads, it seems to me the difference between Judas and Peter is clear.  Peter’s sin was significant. After all, denying Jesus is a serious matter, but his faith was sufficient to bring him to repentance.

Now, I want to point out briefly that sorrow is not enough for repentance, as it appears to me Judas was sorry as was Peter. The difference, I think, is that Judas didn’t believe he could be forgiven.  He had no faith, so there was no repentance.  In that situation, nothing but despair remains. Peter’s faith kept him from despair, as should our faith always.  I have become convinced lately, that lack of despair has to be a key part of our witness. We must remain calm in our faith. Otherwise, it seems to me there is no witness. In this world where people are acting in fear and despair to protect themselves by any means, we must be different in our calm and confidence. Not believing God forgives leaves only despair. But as one contemporary hymn goes, “our sins they are many, his mercy is more” Realizing that none of our sin is greater than the work of Jesus on the cross should bring us calm. That should also encourage a pretty constant attitude of repentance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundamental Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic

NKJV Evangelical Study Bible

Coloe Gospel of John