Recently, as I was reading from the book of Isaiah, I was taken aback by the extent to which the grace of God will reach. I was reminded, as I sometimes am, that grace is not only for “the lost,” as some say.

The grace that comes through faith and repentance is also available for people who are downright evil.

The section I was reading in Isaiah was from chapter 19, first written to ancient Jewish people.

…the Egyptians will worship with the Assyrians…whom the LORD of hosts has blessed, saying, ‘Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel my inheritance’ (Isaiah 19:23-24).

In the ancient Israelites’ experience, both the Egyptians and the Assyrians represented oppression, violence, and abuse. They represented the very worst of humanity as well as a clear and present reminder that evil resides in the human heart (Genesis 6:5). Egyptians and Assyrians were marauders, kidnappers, sex offenders and slave-drivers. They were users and abusers, less like humans and more like monsters, less like people and more like things.

As I read from Isaiah, I thought to myself that Jesus came to save his worst enemies…and he also came to save our worst enemies. People we despise. People who have hurt us. People who have hurt those we love. People who have done terrible things. All are candidates for the grace, mercy, forgiveness, and redemption of God. The Grace of God is everywhere. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundamental Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic

NKJV Evangelical Study Bible

Coloe Gospel of John